Basking in the sun is a summer rite of passage. Unfortunately, too much time outdoors can eventually give you visible skin damage. If you spend even a little time outside, you should examine yourself for signs of premature aging so you can stop it in its tracks.
Signs of skin damage
According to the Mayo Clinic, there are a few telltale signs that the sun got the best of you:
- Increased irregular pigmentation and wrinkles
- Liver spots, age spots, solar lentigines
- Labial lentigo, which is a single spot that appears on the lips after exposure to sunlight
- Sagging skin, deep wrinkles and vertical creases
- Melasma, a dark brown blemish that typically appears on the face like the cheeks, forehead, nose and chin
- Poikiloderma, or reddish-brown pigmentation usually on the neck and chest
- Solar keratoses – scaly patches found on the ears, face and lower arms.
"It's like getting a face-lift without any surgery."
Because sun damage not only affects your physical appearance but threatens health, it's important to treat your skin and also see a dermatologist. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, overexposure to the sun's ultraviolet rays can cause skin cancer and precancers over time. However, regular skin examinations and proper care can reverse signs of aging and reduce your chance of getting sick.
How to look younger
Here are some pointers to undo skin aging. Combined, these can reverse up to 90 percent of damage, stated the SCF.
- Wear sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Exfoliate your skin to eliminate dead outer skin cells called stratum corneum.
- Use an over-the-counter skin lightener to get ride of brown spots.
- Apply a moisturizing cream to your face and body. Options that contain hyaluronic acid can almost instantly make wrinkles around the eyes disappear.
- Invest in a light-emitting diode, which promotes collagen and reduces fine lines and wrinkles.
What about skin revitalization?
For the ultimate beauty indulgence, consider skin revitalization. Just one treatment can take years off your skin by reversing signs of aging, making you look and feel younger. It works on various parts of the body like hands and arms as well as the face. Skin revitalization can rid you of crow's feet, lipstick lines, smokers' lines, facial wrinkles, frown lines for an all-around youthful appearance.
It's like getting a face-lift without any surgery. Say goodbye to wrinkles and opt for a more dramatic yet natural change with skin revitalization. Visit Cynosure.com so you can stop fretting over wrinkles and start feeling confident in your summer skin.
Over 45 million US adults* are living with tattoos, but now permanent ink can be a thing of the past. PicoSure® is the world's latest breakthrough technology in laser tattoo removal providing faster results in fewer treatments. Visit www.picosurear.wpengine.com to learn more and find a PicoSure Practitioner near you. * Source: Harris Interactive, 2012